The CGE Pro 1400 HD combines Celestron's state of the art CGE Pro Computerized Equatorial mount with its new EdgeHD optical system. With more than 60% more light gathering power than the 11" telescope, this observatory-class instrument is Celestron’s largest optical system in its class.
Featuring our premium StarBright XLT coatings, this telescope is especially at home as a solid platform for long exposure photography with optional CCD cameras or photographic equipment; it is a serious scientific research tool. German Equatorial mounts are recognized as being the superior choice for astrophotography because of their rock solid stability, simple balancing and easy accessibility for attaching equipment. With sophisticated software features like the Hibernate function, the CGE Pro can maintain its star alignment night after night without needing to be re-aligned, making it an ideal instrument for a permanent observatory facility
New Optical Design
The EdgeHD optical system takes all of the compact power popularized by the Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope (SCT) and combines it with an improved high definition optical system for wide field, astrograph quality images.
As a visual instrument EdgeHD optics deliver pinpoint images even with your widest field eyepiece. You can search for all of the Messier Catalog objects, and see hundreds of other equally interesting NGC, IC and Caldwell objects with amazing clarity. For astroimaging, the EdgeHD optics produce aberration-free images across your favorite CCD or DSLR camera. All EdgeHD optics are designed to produce an extremely flat focal plane precise enough to match the strict tolerances of the largest commercial ccd detectors, allowing all stars to be in tight focus to the very edge of the chip.
Some companies boast that their telescopes give diffraction limited stars in the very center of the field of view. EdgeHD optics not only produce diffraction limited stars on axis, but maintain diffraction limited stars across the entire field of view of many of the most popular astrophotography cameras. Even at the very edge of a full frame camera chip, the EdgeHD 14" delivers star sizes of only 1 arc second!
The EdgeHD 14" optics produce a focal plane three-times flatter than the standard equivalent SCT telescope with diffraction limited stars to the very edge of the SBIG STL6303 field of view!
A detailed description of EdgeHD technologies can be found here
CGE PRO 1400 HD - General Features
- 14" EdgeHD Optics
- Celestron premium StarBright XLT coatings
- CGE PRO computerized Equatorial mount
- Heavy duty stainless steel tripod adjustable from 38 - 55"
- 9x50 finderscope with quick release bracket to help accurately find objects
- 2" Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
CGE PRO 1400 HD - HD Features
- New aplanatic Schmidt telescope design produces aberration-free images across a wide field of view
- Mirror tension locks hold the primary mirror in place and reduce image shift
- Cooling vents allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror
- Fastar compatible for fast f/2 imaging
CGE PRO 1400 HD - Computerized Mount Features
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- New All-Star Polar Alignment routine for both Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
- Software Features include: Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five alignment methods and user-defined slew limits.
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- 12VDC Servo Motors with integrated optical encoders
- Permanent programmable periodic error correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives
- Drive Motors - High quality motors with seven slot skewed armature to minimize magnetic cogging for quiet operation and long life. Precision made cut-steel gears in gearbox for Improve tracking precision.
- Bearing and Shaft - Main shafts are made from 1.57" diameter steel tubing with .40" wall thickness with two preloaded 2.68" O.D. tapered roller bearings on each axes
- Precision worm drive system - .75" pitch dia. precision made steel worm preloaded with two .87" OD ball bearings to minimize run-out (a source of periodic error). 255 tooth 6" pitch dia. precision made worm wheel with enveloping brass teeth
- Spring loaded DEC worm to minimize backlash and make guiding easy.
- 4 point RA and DEC clutch system for no-slip pointing precision
- Autoguide port, PC port and auxiliary ports located on the electronic pier for long exposure astrophotography
- Latitude range: 10° to 65° northern or southern hemispheres
- RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS-compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory (93969)
OPTICAL DESIGN : EdgeHD Optics
APERTURE : 356 mm (14.02 in)
FOCAL LENGTH : 3910 mm (153.94 in)
FOCAL RATIO : 10.98
FINDERSCOPE : 9x50
MOUNT : CGE Pro Computerized Equatorial
OPTICAL TUBE : Aluminum
EYEPIECE 1 : 23 mm (0.91 in)
MAGNIFICATION 1 : 170 x
ANGULAR FIELD OF VIEW : 0.48 °
STAR DIAGONAL : 2" with 1.25" adapter
TRIPOD : Adjustable, 2.75" Stainless Steel legs
CD ROM : NexRemote control software with RS232 cable
POWER SUPPLY : Car battery adapter
HIGHEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION : 841 x
LOWEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION : 51 x
LIMITING STELLAR MAGNITUDE : 15.3
RESOLUTION (RAYLEIGH) : 0.39 arcsec
RESOLUTION (DAWES) : 0.33 arcsec
LIGHT GATHERING POWER : 2586 x
LINEAR FIELD OF VIEW (@1000 yds) : 28 ft (8.53 m)
OTPICAL COATINGS : Starbright XLT Coating
SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION : 4.5 in (114.3 mm)
SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION BY AREA : 10.3 %
SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION BY DIAMETER : 32.1 %
OPTICAL TUBE LENGTH : 31 in (787.4 mm)
OPTICAL TUBE WEIGHT : 45 lb (20.41 kg)
TRIPOD AND PIER WEIGHT : 52 lb (23.59 kg)
EQ MOUNT WEIGHT : 75 lb (34.02 kg)
COUNTERWEIGHT BAR : 5 lb (2.27 kg)
COUNTERWEIGHTS : 3 x 22 lb
SLEW SPEEDS : Nine slew speeds 5.5 deg/s, 2 deg/s, 0.5 deg/s, 64x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x, 0.5x
TRACKING RATES : Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
TRACKING MODES : EQ North and EQ South
ALIGNMENT PROCEDURES : 2-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last Alignment, Quick Align, 1-Star Align
DATABASE : 40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects
POWER REQUIREMENTS : 12 VDC 2.5A
INTERNAL CLOCK : Yes
GPS : Optional CN-16 GPS Accessory
To discover more and to find your local Celestron dealer please visit our Dealer Page